In a weeks time it will be Halloween, and I don't know about you but my children have been having several discussions around what character they would like to be this year. As usual I have obscure requests from my daughter, whereas the boys are always happy to be something simple.
This got me thinking...
Who are my favourite monsters?
As you all are probably aware (especially if you follow my blog) I love The Gothic - so halloween and monsters in general are on my wavelength.
I decided to do a list of my top ten monsters and I will briefly explain why.
- Carmilla - a female vampire written by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. She is powerful, and is able to fool families into believing she is helpless when she is in fact, preying on their good nature and usually devouring a neighbour or family member.
- Dracula - Bram Stoker's original first vampire Vlad, that comes over to Britain to be accepted and attempts to corrupt women. All he wants is to fit into society!
- Whitefell from the Werewolf by Clemence Houseman. A charismatic and beautiful lady by day and yet a free (and still charismatic and beautiful) wolf by night.
- Dorian Gray's portrait - Oscar Wilde's character who will do anything to ensure self-preservation of youth.
- Hyde - a product of science and a part of his creator, Henry Jekyll. A true representation of Jekyll's repressed side - science pushed too far and gone wrong.
- Frankenstein's Monster - Mary Shelley's abandoned monster is probably the most misunderstood monstre of all time. If science hadn't been pushed to his limits, if society had not been cruel and judgemental, then things might have been different for this monster. He craves acceptance but the treatment he is subjected to is what actually turns him into the monster.
- Ayesha - from Ryder Haggard's She (she who must be obeyed). A powerful leader that the men in the tribe will do actually anything for. Her control and stature, is captivating and probably makes me a little envious, lol.
- Hannibal Lecter - Thomas Harris's serial killer is intelligent, yet disturbing. Probably the most dangerous type of man around - accepted by society with a career or high standing. Yet scary!
- Evil Witch Willow in Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The loss of a loved one can turn anyone a little crazy, but when little mouse-like Willow turns into a scary, black-haired, black-eyed, floating figure - she goes from one extreme to the other and almost destroys the whole world.
- A Zombie (like in Dawn of the Dead, or World War Z) - these quick, biting, creatures that seem to come in their thousands and never stop or back down unless their head is removed are relentless - and scary. I certainly wouldn't like a zombie to be knocking on my door on Halloween!
So here we have vampires, zombies, serial killers, werewolves, demons, witches, supernatural beings, and scientific creation which can all be equally terrifying figures. Of course there are also ghosts, banshees, spectres and likes of too!
Who are your favourite all time monsters - TV, Films, or books are fine? I really wanted to include Voldermort here too but I did limit myself to ten, lol. Who frightens you the most?
Thanks for reading, stop by soon!
Laters, Janet :)